We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. See the Affiliates and Disclosures page for more information.
What is grounding and why does it matter? Grounding is a series of strategies to cultivate calm. This website focuses on how to cultivate calm in all areas of life and grounding is an important part of that. Depending on where you are in you life it may be THE best place to start.
People who suffer with anxiety, too much unhealthy stress, lack of focus, chronic pain, restlessness, out of control thoughts and even some physical ailments can benefit from a grounding practice.
It isn’t difficult it just takes some habits to be formed.
Does Grounding really work?
This study posted on the NCBI website has evidence that grounding/earthing does indeed offer real tangible benefits. Sleeping grounded specifically showed the test group having a high ratio of participants experience deeper sleep, less pain lowered anxiety, lessened asthma, and other respiratory conditions and PMS relief.
How to do grounding indoors
Whether you’re dealing with too hot or too cold weather or you simply can’t get out in nature due to where you live (condos, high rises, apartments, etc) there are things you can do inside to enjoy the benefits of grounding.
- Let’s spoon! Using a stainless steel spoon (check it against a refrigerator magnet if the back doesn’t say stainless steel on it) and run the rounded side over the soles of your bare feet. Do this slowly and with intention. The steel bonds with hemoglobin to invigorate and activate your energy fields. Every cell in the body will have the electromagnetic energy set right. Be sure to do both feet and do it regularly. You may wish to use it as part of your bedtime ritual outlined in the complete guide to better sleep.
- Soak it off. Water and salt (Epsom salt) are elements of the earth and soaking in them will help the grounding process. The metal pipes connected to the tub are grounding as well. Adding additional plant material like essential oils or flower petals boost the power of this soak.
- Go natural. Natural fibers like cotton and bamboo should be your choice in sheets, clothing, etc. There are even grounding sheets available that have the smallest of metal fibers woven in.
- Step on it. Grounding mats are available to use in your home. They work the same way the sheets do in that the electromagnetic alignment happens as you stand on it. You can even keep it under your desk to place your feet on throughout the day.
- Crystals. Crystals hold the energy of the earth they have grown in. Some have a more powerful grounding effect than others.
- Grounding socks. As with grounding sheets, grounding socks have very fine silver threads woven in.
Live Chill Life only recommends products personally after trying and is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
How long should you do grounding?
Ideally grounding should be done daily for 20- 30 minutes. Sleeping in grounding sheets or wearing grounding socks will give a continuous grounding benefit for longer period due to the nature of how they are used.